Early June 2011: YKD Brant Imagery Survey, Grandpa Ron, etc.

Early June is a busy time for me with the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta brant colony imagery survey. To facilitate the unlikely combination of baby (breast-feeding) and field work, I had a cadre of helpers in the field and on the homefront. (Thanks GayLee and Mike Anthony, Grandpa Ron "the Manny", Ron & Jan Tharldson, and papa Paul).

Out with the old and in with the new. The brant imagery survey (taking pictures of colonial nesting brant to get a population estimate) was Paul Anderson and I's last survey in 98Z (Cessna 206). As of 30 Sept 2011, all the 206's become inoperative and we switched over to the Kodiaks (the big orange plane) as our primary survey platform.
Gaylee and Mike Anthony brought Teal out to Bethel commercially after Paul and I finished the brant photography. So great to have her there and continue some semblance of a normal breast-feeding schedule. Mike was my field assistant for the remainder of the survey (mapping and ground truthing the photos) and Gaylee and Teal stayed with us while we were working in Bethel.Teal was in heaven with the Anthony's.
Back out to the field for ground-truthing. Mike and I visited three of the colonies in the Yukon Delta Refuge's Husky, basing out of Kanagyak field camp.

We renamed the Husky "Slough Hopper". George was right about river-bank parking in #3 mud...just like an otter sliding back to the water!Meanwhile, back in Anchorage...Coal was living it up with Grandpa Ron.

After the brant survey, I flew 98Z on it's final flight (for my shop): Bethel to Anchorage via Merrill Pass.
Merrill Pass...it still gets me. So...beautiful.

Thank god for power inverters and breast-pumps on long-flights. I grew a third arm this year pumping while flying, walking, driving, etc. etc. While I was flying myself home, Grandpa was helping with Teal & Coal...and continued to do so for the next week, while I hustled to analyze data. Thanks dad!

Finally...Bill and Lynn Szepanski (my friend Shelly's folks) were up visiting and we were able to have dinner with them and ride the tram up to the top of Alyeska. Coal got such a kick out of it. Thanks guys - great to see you!

No comments: