Teal Edith Flint!

Teal Edith Flint was born at 4:14 am on January 12, 2011.
5 lbs 13 oz
at Geneva Woods Birth Center
Family present included papa Paul, brother Coal, Grandpa Ron, aunt Trish, and midwives, Laura Gore, Karin Braun, and helper Sarah.

Edith was my mom's name, her mom's name, and her mom's mom's name. Somehow it skipped a generation with Trish and I, but in honor of my mom, we thought it appropriate for Teal.

Grandpa Ron & Auntie Trish

Dad and Trish came up just prior to delivery and stayed for the following few weeks. Great to have their help. Trish filled an upright freezer full of meals for the future and fed everyone each night while she was here. Dad and her helped with Coal and took Teal whenever Paul and I needed breaks/sleep. It was so helpful to have an extra set of arms doing whatever needed doing....every new mom should be so lucky. My recovery was unbelievably fast, largely due to all their support.



Grandpa's first cross-country skiCoal's first haircut...thanks aunt Trish!


Teals' Birth Story

My first sense that labor might be starting began around 9 pm (Jan. 11th). We had just finished a great salmon dinner and were waiting for grandpa Ron (my dad) to arrive on the midnight jet. Things really started happening around midnight, when contractions were ~7-8 minutes apart. At that point, it felt good to lay down when they came on, but they weren't overpowering. Trish picked up dad from the airport and by the time they arrived back at the house (~1:15 am), the contractions had increased to every 4 min and we were calling the midwife. When we arrived at the birth center (2 am), I was dilated to 6 cm and having strong contractions, but they never got closer than than 2 minutes apart (even in transition). By around 3:45 am, I was 9 cm and the midwives suggested pushing. After a few frustrating positions and my water finally breaking, Teal was born about 30 minutes later (4:14 am). Good set of lungs (she cried right away) and great color. She was small, but feisty and began to nurse just a short while after being born.
We were blessed to have a lot of people present at Teal's birth to help welcome her into the world. Having everyone there to experience her entry made me feel so supported: Trish was the camera lady, Paul was helping me figure out comfortable positions, dad was rubbing my back and helping with Coal, and Coal was touching my face and staying near me, saying things like, 'Hurts mama?...Better now, mama?' I wasn't sure beforehand if having him there would be helpful or distracting, but by the time we were leaving for the birth center, I knew I wanted him there. In the end, he was such a calming focal-point for me.

Labor Sequence
(Below) A break between contractions
(Unlike last time, I could actually catch my breath in between...even remembering to say please and thank you. ...Sometimes)

My little helper. Coal was a trooper - staying awake and engaged through the wee hours. I'm so glad it worked out to have him with us.
I love this picture (below). Reminds me of what labor looks like through the mom's eyes...all a little fuzzy.Trying to stay relaxed as things picked up. Coal helping in front, grandpa in back.
The little labor coach reminding me to relax, "better, mama...feel better?".

I forgot what a relief it is when the baby arrives and labor is over!
Fresh new Teal!
My two babies.

Amazing to share the whole experience with everyone, and in such a relaxed atmosphere.
Welcome to our family Teal!

1 comment:

Jen Anderson said...

Oh, what a beautiful story & i love all the pictures. You are a gorgeous mother Heather!! And Teal is small & fiesty?? Sounds like someone I know!! ;)
Enjoy them, it goes so fast!
xoxoxo