Coal Wiley Flint joins the world! 6 Janurary 2009


Coal Wiley Flint's Birth

6 January 2008, 11:32 a.m.
8 lbs. 1 oz., 22 inches long

Around 3 am on 6 January, I started having moderate back and pelvic cramps which I couldn't sleep through. By 7 am, Paul had gotten up and was trying to time some of the 'contractions' (which were so disorganized and weak, I couldn't really tell where one started or ended). Around 8 am, I took a shower, during which, the contractions became about 2 minutes apart, lasting a minute or more, and were very regular. By 9 am, I stopped being able to talk and starting making very loud wails (something akin to cow moose calls according to Paul) through each contraction...which I continued (along with some screaming) for the remainder of the labor. When we arrived at the birth center at 9:30 am, I was 6 cm dilated and after an hour of more laboring, I was 9 cm! After that, I rapidly transitioned from painful uterine contractions to strong pelvic pressure and the urge to push. I moved to the floor, where I pushed for about 45 minutes. Towards the end, the midwife had me feel the baby's head moving down as I pushed - about 1.5 inches per push! Super encouraging! At 11:32 am Coal's head was born (along with one hand out by his cheek) and then the rest of his body on the next push. Amazing!
From active (painful) labor to birth had only taken about 2.5 hours!
My sister Trish and Paul were at my side throughout and Coal was born with the assistance of nurse-midwife Karin Braun and birth-assistant Kacy. For the next 3 hours following the birth, we rested, had Coal latch on for the first time, took all the necessary vital signs and measurements, and then headed home! Coal has been sleeping and feeding up a storm ever since!


No comments: